Friday, December 22, 2017

AUBREE ELSE WOELBER, "TABLES" (Issue 16)



TABLES

I take the first boat out of the globe;
translate what you never said
into a pink mechanical tongue.
Use it as a paperweight.

I short-sheet your bed, practice
traps. Shoot down your apologies
with a twenty-one-gun salute.

You think my ribs are your own—
give them back before they blow
like ash & your eyes become wine:
I would drink them like I am thirsty.

I overturn the tables so they can’t be turned.
This is a clue a riddle a game.
This is how I leave you.




ABOUT THE POET

Aubree Else Woelber is an Iowa native. She is a poetry editor for the Blue River Review. Her work has appeared or is forthcoming in The Chattahoochee Review, Bear Review, Upwrite Magazine, Ruminate, and The Flat Water Stirs: An Anthology for Emerging Nebraska Poets. She lives with her husband in Omaha.

ABOUT SUGAR HOUSE REVIEW

We’ve loved reading the work that we’ve published (clearly), so now we want an opportunity to better hear our contributors. We will feature an audio recording of a poem from one of our seven issues, read by the poet and updated every couple of weeks. This an open invitation to all contributors from any of our issues, we were delighted to print your work, now we’re eager to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment