Saturday, July 28, 2018

EMMA AYLOR, "NORTH HILLS" (Issue 17)



NORTH HILLS

I am cracking the egg in my
hand on my chest a thousand ways
today, on the bench I like by
the pansies. What was there
felt all for me, the time of morning

between rush hour and lunch
break, all but the backed-in delivery trucks
gone still and inside. A warm wind started
stirring that felt closer to nature
than to the office buildings, as if

coming up from some creek. I wished
to hear a train whistle for the simple
papered unfolding of longing a person feels
going anyplace good and strange. I am missing

this place early and too easily; where it used
to be I’d hold it all closed I’ve instead
extended this open space in me out.

ABOUT THE POET

Emma Aylor is the author of the chapbook Twos (Dancing Girl Press, 2014). Her poems have appeared inHandsome, the Adirondack Review, Two Serious Ladies, Vinyl, and elsewhere.

ABOUT SUGAR HOUSE REVIEW 

We’ve loved reading the work that we’ve published (clearly), so now we want an opportunity to better hear our contributors. We will feature an audio recording of a poem from one of our seven issues, read by the poet and updated every couple of weeks. This an open invitation to all contributors from any of our issues, we were delighted to print your work, now we’re eager to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment